|Are you ready to join the global leader in engineering and industrial software? You’ll be part of a team that drives digital transformation to over 16,000 customers across the globe and strives for excellence every day.
There are 4,700 of our people in more than 40 countries who challenge themselves and each other to create and improve the transformative technology our customers need. With our help, industries across the world can make a positive difference to the lives of people everywhere.
We take pride in our core values and the diversity of our people, valuing the unique experience and expertise that people from different backgrounds bring to our business. At AVEVA, we’re all about Limitless possibilities. Are you?
Legal Counsel is a key member of the Corporate Legal Team, which has a global responsibility for compliance and regulatory best practice, support to Mergers & Acquisition activity, litigation, non-customer contract negotiations (procurement), legal support to back office and to resourcing all corporate initiatives within AVEVA.
The Legal Counsel reports in to the Deputy General Counsel (Corporate) and will be responsible for supporting all Corporate Legal activities (as set out above) including drafting documentation, reviewing and negotiating a variety of supplier commercial agreements and ensuring compliance of the organisation’s business processes with export trade regulations, data privacy and anti-bribery laws and regulations.
• Drafting, reviewing and negotiating a range of commercial contracts with suppliers including software licences, goods and services agreements, outsourcing and facilities, consultancy contracts, NDAs, MoUs, partner agreements etc. Delegation and oversight of such work by junior members of the team.
• Support to M&A activity, including undertaking and overseeing due diligence, drafting and review of transaction documentation, liaising with external counsel and internal stakeholders.
• Assist in reviewing and assessing current legal processes, structures and procedures within the AVEVA Group.
• Support to Corporate Legal integration related initiatives (following the reverse takeover of the Schneider Electric Software Business in March 2018).
• Oversee and support the development, maintenance and updating of legal systems and records.
• Support corporate business projects and initiatives and oversee work on the same by junior members of the team.
• Assist with the development, implementation, and maintenance of compliance policies, procedures, manuals and work instructions.
• Oversee compliance responsibilities of Corporate Legal Team generally (including data protection, export compliance and anti-bribery), supported by Legal Counsel and the implementation and evolution of compliance systems for the purpose of providing sufficient record keeping diligence to demonstrate compliance with applicable laws.
• Export compliance:
o Operationalise trade compliance policy decisions propounded by the Legal Department:
• Overseeing screening proposed transactions against U.S. and international restricted party lists worldwide to ensure all products and information made available to customers and prospects is provided in compliance with relevant law;
• Clearing flagged/suspect results from automated screening systems according to established procedures;
• Working with R&D contacts to complete product classification when needed.
o Identify instances requiring rescreening of customers and prospects or reclassification of products because of a change in relevant law, as communicated from the Legal Department, and carry out such rescreening and/or reclassification.
o Oversee preparation and submission of export license or similar clearance applications where necessary to complete a transaction in compliance with relevant law.
o Serve as the primary interface between AVEVA Account Managers and Product Development for Trade Compliance inquiries.
• Establish good working relationships with his/her line manager and all business units.
• Liaising with external counsel and relevant authorities.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience Required:
• UK Qualified Solicitor 5 – 6 years PQE.
• Law degree from a recognised university.
• Ability to identify, analyse and form his/her own opinion on various legal issues and matters and offer practical and pragmatic advice to the business.
• Ability to work to timescales and independently prioritise and manage workload.
• Strong attention to detail and high-level drafting and negotiating skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to work effectively in a team.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and efficiently.
• Enjoys improving standards and processes in a fast-growing customer-oriented business environment.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Software.
• Export trade compliance or international logistics - practical subject matter experience in UK and EU export controls; U.S. sanctions regimes; and U.S. export regulations such the Export Administration Regulations, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, and the trade regulations of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and Department of Energy.
• Practical subject matter experience in data protection (GDPR) compliance.
• M&A transactional experience.
AVEVA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we take pride in the diversity of our employees, valuing the special experience and expertise that people from different backgrounds bring to our business. The ability to develop ground-breaking technologies is one of our key assets and our people make it happen.
Come and join AVEVA to create the transformative technology that enables our customers to engineer a better world.
Concerning agencies: Aveva does not accept unsolicited resumes and will not be responsible for fees related to such
The Schneider Electric industrial software business and AVEVA have merged to trade as AVEVA Group plc, a UK listed company. The Schneider Electric and Life is On trademarks are owned by Schneider Electric and are being licensed to AVEVA by Schneider Electric.